This exciting programme finishes with John Adams’s Gnarly Buttons, a virtuosic clarinet concerto shot through with influences from hymns to bluegrass and jazz. Before that we hear two of Mark’s own works and Adams’s minimalist classic Shaker Loops. Soloist Mark Simpson, a Radio 3 Young Generation artist and – like Adams – both a clarinettist and a composer, was thoughtful and virtuosic.
21.30 – 22.15
You are invited to stay on for a free concert by Red Note Advanced Academy soloists from Glasgow, Oslo, Paris and Dublin.
- Sergio Vega Dominguez. Oboe (Royal Conservatoire of Scotland) – “Six Études pour hautbois” by Gilles Silvestrini: 1. Hôtel des Roches noires à Trouville & 4. Sentier dans les bois.
- Johanna Aichriedler, Bassoon (Norwegian Academy of Music) – “Vertigo” by Olav Berg.
- Takuya Otaki, Piano (Paris Conservatoire) – “Dos formas del tiempo” by Martin Matalon.
- Cho Ha Kim, Violin (Paris Conservatoire) – “Elegy” by Toshio Hosokawa.
- Adam Hall, Cello (Royal Conservatoire of Scotland) – “Bunraku” by Toshiba Mayuzumi.
- Matthew Mazanek, Guitar (Royal Irish Academy) – “Drei Tentos” by Hans Werner Henze.
Kindly supported by the French Institute for Scotland